As parents and caregivers, you are on the front lines in the battle to curtail underage drinking. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has produced helpful tips and tools for parents to get that conversation started and to improve the effectiveness of the ongoing discussion.
Not sure how to get started?
- Practice bringing up the topic of alcohol
- Learn the questions to ask
- Get ideas for keeping the conversation going
You decide what to say, see it play out, and adjust your approach with help from your coaches.
The Start the Talk coaches will help you:
- Show you disapprove of underage drinking.
- Show you care about your child’s happiness and well-being.
- Show you’re a good source of information about alcohol.
- Show you’re paying attention and you’ll notice if your child drinks.
- Build your child’s skills and strategies for avoiding underage drinking.
Learn more about Conversation Goals at this SAMHSA Link – and remember to TALK…THEY HEAR YOU!
For more helpful materials, visit the Parent Tips page.