I am pleased to announce that NCADD-Sacramento will be working with the Bay Area Employee Assistance Professionals Association to bring back employee assistant programs (EAP) to businesses throughout the Sacramento region.
EAPs provide confidential assistance to employees who are struggling with personal challenges such as substance abuse.
Many small and medium sized businesses no longer have human resource departments. NCADD-Sacramento wants to make certain that employees in the Sacramento region have access to professional counselors to address alcohol and drug dependency issues. As a result, we anticipate employers and employees alike will benefit from access to this program.
A U.S. Department of Labor study (“What Works: Workplaces Without Drugs”) reported that for every dollar invested in an EAP, employers generally save anywhere from $5 to $16. Data provided by the Houston-based Interface EAP claims that employee use of EAPs has been shown to result in a:
- 66 percent decline in absenteeism after alcohol abusers have been identified and treated;
- 75 percent reduction in inpatient alcohol and other drug abuse treatment costs;
- 33 percent decline in use of sickness benefits;
- 65 percent decline in work-related accidents;
- 30 percent decline in workers’ compensation claims.
We look forward to working with the members of the Bay Area EAPA in this endeavor. The first planning meeting will be held on April 6th. Please call Barbara Thompson at 916.922.5123 for more information.
Reference for study: http://www.eapassn.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1